1002 Monterey Drive
Aiken, SC 29803-2107
Phone: (803) 644-9900
Fax: (803) 644-7900
The St. Mary Help of Christians Church is a historic church located in Aiken, South Carolina. The current church was built by McMurphy and Story in 1905, after the original church building was destroyed by a tornado. This Gothic Revival and Decorated Gothic style structure features an unusually steep roof, along with red brick exterior and rose windows. One can also find a parish adjoining the church. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
This historic courthouse was named after the renowned judge Charles E. Simons Jr., and is a prominent part of the state's court system. The majestic courthouse, built in 1935 in the Georgian Revival style, is one of the city's finest architectural treasures.
The city of Aiken in South Carolina is bequeathed with one of the finer house sites in the form of the Phelps House. The construction of the house dates back to the early 1900s. The house avenue occupies immense monumental value and more so due to its brilliant Shingle style of architecture. It encompasses a land area of 4.2 acres (1.7 hectares). The site has paved its way into the prestigious National Register of Historic Places.
Rich in history, this cemetery is historic burial ground for area African Americans, both slaves and free blacks, with many of the graves being unmarked. The oldest marked grave to be found in the cemetery to dates back to 1835.
Look out at the tranquil water at the Augusta Riverfront Marina. Find a grassy spot on at the marina's park and look out at the marina to see boats floating in the water for a tranquil afternoon. The marina is also known for hosting events.
This 60 acre cemetery is the resting place for more than 500 Confederate soldiers and seven generals, as well as notable people from the Civil War period.
Located at the current site of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Fort Augusta Monument is a Celtic cross that was crafted in 1735 to mark the site of where Fort Augusta used to stand. Fort Augusta was a British fort built in the 1730s and its creation marks the beginning of the settlement Augusta. The garrison left the fort in 1767 when England believed they had firm control over the area and the fort was dismantled, though the settlement of Augusta remained. Along with theCeltic cross is a 1730s cannon that was believed to have been used at Fort Augusta.
The Old Government House, also called the Old Richmond County Courthouse, was constructed in 1801 and is one of the oldest buildings in the city. The Old Government House was originally a public building and the seat for the local government, but in 1821 the house became an upscale residence. In 1951 the building was used as the reception facility for the Augusta Junior League and in the 1970s the Historic Augusta bought it. Finally in 1987 the city bought the historic building to preserve it as well as rent it out as a public building once again. The building has a unique range of architecture elements and mainly has a Regency style.
Built in 1750, Saint Paul's Church has been the site of many historical moments. The church has housed refugees during the French and Indian War, was used as a hospital during the American Revolution, and it was used for public meetings when Augusta was Georgia's capital. The original church building was destroyed and the current building was created in1919 with a Georgian Colonial facade. Visit the church yard to view the Fort Augusta Monument as well as the grave of Colonel William Few who was one of the signers of the United States Constitution.
Serving as the first medical school in Georgia until 1911 when the college moved to Harper Street, this college was designed in Greek Revival style by nationally known architect Charles B. Cluskey and is now used for group functions and events.
The First Presbyterian Church was established in 1804, though the current building was completed in 1812. The church's Romanesque style of architecture was designed by architect Robert Mills, who is famous for designing the Washington Monument. The First Presbyterian Church of Augusta has been the site of several historic events, including becoming a hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. Today the church has a friendly congregation and is welcoming to visitors who would like to worship during the Sunday service.
Built in 1859 by a merchant, you can take a guided tour of the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson. President Thomas Woodrow Wilson was the 28th president of the United States and as a boy Wilson lived here from 1960 to 1870. Explore this double story brick house, often called the Manse, which has been carefully preserved with authentic antiques.