Sleep Inn & Suites
5350 Elmore Avenue
Davenport, IA 52807
Phone: (563) 355-3539
Fax: (563) 355-6167
Arts & Museums
This museum strives to provide educational exhibits and experiences for children and their families in the Quad Cities area. The outdoor playground, art room, George's Farm, ThinkShop, and Li' 'Sissippi River Valley exhibits are designed to engage young visitors to use expand their critical thinking skills while playing and having fun.
The International Fire Museum was established by a group of firefighters to spread awareness and tell history of firefighting over the years. The museum fittingly occupies a historic fire station, Hose Station No. 4, an impeccably maintained structure and one of the only two remaining fire stations from the time. Exhibits at the museum tell the story of firefighting around the world.
Established on July 4, 1905, this museum preserves and displays the history of Rock Island Arsenal and Arsenal Island, as well as the history of small arms development. It is the second oldest US Army Museum in the United States. Rock Island Arsenal was established by Act of Congress in 1862 and has been an active manufacturer of military equipment and ordnance since the 1880s including leather horse equipment, meat cans and canteens, paper targets, artillery recoil mechanisms and carriages, and the Model 1903 rifle. Arsenal Island was also the site of a Confederate prison camp, which was operational from December 1863 to July 1865 and housed 12,192 prisoners.
The brilliance of the mighty Mississippi is complemented and, somehow, enhanced by its reflection on the glass facade of the Figge Art Museum. Built by the English architect David Chipperfield, this glass house contains in it a very extensive collection of art belonging to various eras. Among the art collections here, you will find an American collection of art ranging from the Colonial period to modern times. The Mexican Colonial collection, which tells of the blossoming of painting in the former New Spain; and the Haitian collection speaks of the development and growth of art on the island country. A visit to this museum inspires awe, not only in the amateur art enthusiast, but also in the seasoned and most expert of art collectors. See the website for more information.
Located in a historic 1860s former German hotel, the German American Heritage Center offers insight on the German immigrant's life and the impact on American history. America was known as the land of new beginnings and chances, and people from all over the world would travel for a good life. By the turn of the 20th Century, nearly half of the Midwest's population were Germans. Davenport had the major concentration of these immigrants and the German American Heritage Center's building was the first to be built to cater these migrants and was the last standing of its kind in the area. The interactive exhibits gives a glimpse of that era and the contributions that these citizens made to make the America today. There are many educational programs offered as well. Browse through the Gift Shop for some unique German items.
Synonymous with bright green tractors, John Deere is an agricultural construction and forestry machinery manufacture. This corporate giant has been around since 1837 and helped foster new agricultural practices with its technology over the decades in the United States and abroad. Planting itself in America's heartland, the John Deere Pavilion takes visitors through the humble beginnings and history of the brand. Rotating exhibits, a video wall, and a discovery zone for the youngsters make this museum fun for the whole family. You can even climb aboard the equipment in one of their state-of-the-art simulators and feel what its like to drive a dozer!
One of the oldest museums west of the Mississippi River, founded in 1867 as the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences, the Putnam Museum of History and Natural Science is accredited by the American Association of Museums. Its mission is "to collect and preserve objects and natural science specimens and to provide educational and enriching experiences through interpretive exhibits and museum programming." It is one of the most comprehensive museums in the state with collections of over 170,000 objects and specimens.
As one of the first museums west of the Mississippi River, the Putnam Museum was founded in 1867 in Davenport. Today the museum is home to over 160,000 specimens and artifacts that cover natural science and history. Realistic dioramas, fascinating exhibits and an IMAX theater make for an exciting and educational experience.
Constructed in 1934 at the Blackhawk State Historic Site by the Civilian Conservation Corps, this museum depicts the daily life of the Sauk Indians from 1750 to 1830, with seasonal dioramas. Sauk and Fox Indian artifacts including jewelry, weapons, and domestic items are also displayed. Admission to both the park and the museum is free. The museum is open from 9 a.m. to noon, and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m, seven days a week.
This museum which opened in October of 1999, is dedicated to the Depression-era government work program which employed 225,000 World War I veterans. From 1933 to 1935 two hundred men set up camp at Black Hawk, and over eighteen months built six miles of hiking trails, trail structures, parking lots and two picnic shelters; planted thousands of trees and wildflowers; and constructed two-thirds of the present-day lodge. They were given clothing, room, board and a dollar a day. The museum has excellent pictures of the hard work put into the park and lodge. Many show the progress made and the CCC camp conditions. The museum is open seven day a week.
The Black Hawk Museum and Lodge is located in Illinois, United States. The Black Hawk State Historic Site was built in 1927 and the lodge was built in 1934. The collection of Dr. John Hauberg, who was a Rock Island philanthropist, forms the major part of the museum's collection. There are many artifacts like trade goods, domestic items and jewelry that are displayed in here. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 4, 1985.
This home is a boyhood scout home of Buffalo Bill Cody, a government scout. It is located in the rural Scott County. It is a farmhouse built in the year 1847 by Isaac Cody, Buffalo Hill’s father. The structure is built with native limestone and contains walnut floors. This is the homestead where the legendary Buffalo Hill is said to have been born. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the year 1974.