2008 Central Ave.
Estherville, IA 51334
Phone: (712) 362-5522
Fax: (712) 362-5533
2008 Central Ave., Estherville, IA, US, 51334
- Phone: (712) 362-5522
- Fax: (712) 362-5533
The Grotto of Redemption, located in West Bend is a collection of nine grottos depicting scenes from the life of Jesus. Made of of rocks and minerals, this grotto was built by Father Paul Dobberstein and took 42 years to complete. Believed to be the largest grotto in the world, it is also the world's most comprehensive man-made collection of rocks and minerals. Open all year round, there are tours for the facility available. There is also a museum housing semi-precious and precious stones.
The construction of the renowned Faribault County Courthouse was completed in December 1892. Built on a lavish scale, with the perfect architectural aesthetics, it was constructed on a mammoth budget of USD70,000. It was predominantly built by utilizing kasota limestone, sand derived from the Blue Earth River bottoms, and clay tile for the roof. The foremost material used is the red bricks, seen over the elevated basement level. The seven-story tower at the corner is a distinctive feature.
This grand Colonial/Georgian Revival style house was built by Wallace Dow in 1890 and was over the decades, the home of three families - the Daytons, Smallwoods, and Cashels. The beautiful curved front porch and small wraparound back porch lend more charm to this already magnificent structure. But the George D. Dayton House lost its lustre after it was converted into a nursing home by Ruth Cashel for 50 years. It was bought by Historic Worthington Inc. in 2002 and restored the house to its former glory. Today this historic landmark is used for private events, tours and overnight stays.