Sleep Inn & Suites
310 Virgil Avenue
Mount Vernon, IA 52314
Phone: (319) 895-0055
Fax: (319) 895-0066
310 Virgil Avenue, Mount Vernon, IA, US, 52314
- Phone: (319) 895-0055
- Fax: (319) 895-0066
Beautiful and grand, a look at King Memorial Chapel is enough to mesmerize you. Completed in 1882, and since 1976 listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 130-foot (39-meter) high chapel started out in uncertainty. Mid-way, with half-done walls, the contractor went bankrupt. The financial burden was so huge that the college had to be mortgaged to pay off the bills. The faculty turned out to be the saving grace who contributed their salary. By 1882, the college was free of debt and ready to finish the building. The main auditorium, which seats up to 800 people, is where students gather every day. It has a Moller organ with 3800 pipes and is the venue for several musical performances.
The Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church is a significant church that serves the Solon region of Iowa. Included in the National Register of Historic Places, this church was completely constructed in 1916. This historical church continues to strive for the community and even offers rental facilities for wedding receptions.
The Bertram Bridge or the Ely Street Bridge is a truss bridge that was built way back in 1891. J.E. Jayne and Son Bridge Company designed it and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
The Indian Creek Nature Center is a private, non-profit nature center that offers environmental education for all ages. The property contains four miles of trails, an interpretive center, which is housed in a remodeled 1932 dairy barn that features exhibits, an auditorium, offices, a gift shop and restrooms; a butterfly garden, Vermont-style maple sugar house, herb garden, frog pond, picnic tables, and the Paul and Sigrund Lynch Wetland site that includes decks, collection sites and interpretation.
The Ely School House is a Tudor Revival Style building. This historic structure served as a school building and now is a community center for the town. It features various offices, city council chambers, meeting rooms, dinning facilities, etc.
Owned by three wealthy families between 1884 and 1981, this 21-room Queen Anne-style estate is a 26-acre National Trust Historic Site and a community cultural center that exhibits objects having to do with the history of the house, its inhabitants, including its servants and a lion; and the local culture that was influenced by the endeavors of its owners' economic ventures. The Visitor Center is located in the 1911 carriage house.
The First Presbyterian Church in Marion is precisely sited at 802 12th Street, Marion in Iowa. It is a historic Presbyterian Church. It was constructed in 185. The church site is featured on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a fine representation of the Gothic Revival style of architecture. It strives continually to encourage one another in the worship and love for Jesus. Apart from worship services, the church also arranges for the Sunday school.
Just eight miles north of Cedar Rapids, this relaxed farm and recreation area offers hayrides, bonfires, covered picnic areas, and a wonderful rustic, rural setting for happenings and events. Maple Ridge Farm is open from May through November.
Located in a small Czech ghetto, the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library explores the Czech and Slovakian culture through its diverse collection. The museum pertains to its neighboring Czech immigrants by disseminating its native culture and history. You can learn here about their traditions, lifestyle, art, crafts and so on. The library has several books, photographs, videos and archives that cater to the same aspect. Shop for jewelry, books and other gift items at their store. Events here include book launches, discussions, seminars and local fiestas.
Since the turn of the century, Cedar Rapids has been home to thousands of Czech, Moravian and Slovak immigrants and their descendants. Still home to Sykora Bakery & Polehna Meat Market, which both date back to the 1920's, the Czech Village is a restored section of what was the shopping district for many of those immigrants. Here you will also find the National Czech & Slovak Museum and Library. It is internationally known for its permanent and changing exhibits which feature exquisite Czech and Slovak folk art and costumes, fine art, political history, maps and military items. A visit includes a tour of a restored 1880 Czech immigrant home. Specializing in products of Czechoslovakia, the small Czech Cottage in the Czech Village features a wide range of glassware, crystal, dinnerware, Royal Dux figurines and Czech Garnet Jewelry, also known as Bohemian Garnet Jewelry.
The St. Paul United Methodist Church is a historic church constructed in 1914. Located in downtown, the church was designed by famous architect Louis Sullivan. The congregation is an active one, with services being held routinely. The church became a part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 owing to its historical and architectural significance.
Thought to be the largest in the world, the Iowa Masonic Library and Museum in Cedar Rapids offers one of the most complete collections of Masonic artifacts from around the world with over 100,000 volumes of both Masonic and general books. Also on display, an array of Masonic aprons, which include 18th century hand-embroidered and hand-painted silk aprons; Knight Templar swords, and modern porcelain and glassware.