Johnson Island Civil War Prison and Fort Site
3510 Confederate Drive
Johnson's Island, OH 43440
+1 419 448 2327
The Johnson Island is a vital location of a prisoner-of-war camp for Confederate officers captured during the American Civil War. It is spread over a colossal 300 acres (120 hectares) on the Sandusky Bay at the coast of Lake Erie. It was constructed in 1862 and the prison was spread over 16.5 acres (6.6 hectares). The 12-story prisoner housing barracks are encompassed by a 15-foot (4.6-meter) high wooden stockade. End of the war resulted in the abandonment of the prison, and further in the year 1990, the site was designated as a National Historic Landmark.