Sleep Inn & Suites At Fort Lee
2200 Waterside Road
Prince George, VA 23875
Phone: (804) 732-3737
Fax: (804) 732-7377
The Blandford Cemetery is the final resting place of those who lost their lives in the Revolutionary War and Civil War. Located in Petersburg, it is one of the largest cemeteries in Virginia. Tour are operated throughout the year, as well as a special evening tour on Halloween. Admire funerary art and tradition in the gravestones, carvings, sculptures and tombs that date back to the 1800s. The reception also has a gift shop for those who would like to take back some memorabilia.
Touring in Petersburg? Get help from the knowledgeable staff at Petersburg Visitors' Center. Find all the literature required to make your stay here easier and stress free. Whether it's a list of restaurants, tourist attractions or accommodations, get them all in the historic area of Petersburg, where this Visitor's Center is located.
Your guide to all the beautiful sights, accommodations and eateries, Hopewell Tourism helps tourists with all kinds of literature required to tour around the state. They also organize meetings and trade shows. Whether emergency information, real estate prices or meeting facilities, you know where to find help. The center also offer snacks and drinks and if your visit to the city is short lived, pick up something from their gift store.
The prominent schooling avenue of the Peabody Building of the Peabody-Williams School stands distinguished in the Petersburg city of Virginia. The school building dates back to the year 1920. The building is predominantly a two story structure and has been created by utilizing red bricks. Occupying tremendous historical significance, the site has entered into the National Register of Historic Places in the year 2000.
Established in the year 1999, Appomattox Regional Governor's School is a public magnet high school (schools that offer specialized courses) that offers education in the streams of art and technology. One of the emerging schools of the state, Appomattox Regional Governor's School offers education to the students from the grades 9 to 12. The streams are further categorized into the fields of Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Literary Arts and Communication Technology, and once admitted a special emphasis is laid on maintaining the GPA prescribed by the institute. Call or visit their website for more information.
Church of the Sacred Heart Parish is a gorgeous structure built in 1906. Spread over a vast space of 12.223 acres (4.946 hectares), it is built with the Late Gothic Revival style of architecture. The brick red color of the building compliments the architecture well and is eye catching. The church is fully functional, with regular masses and ceremonies being conducted.
The Weston Manor is a spectacular plantation house occupying immense monumental value. The construction of the house site dates back to 1780; the house has adapted the Virginia Georgian style of architecture and most of its interiors are well-preserved. Included in the National Register of Historic Places, the mansion as well as the grounds are open to all visitors.
City Point National Cemetery is situated on the Appomattox River in Prince George County. Soldiers laid to rest in neighboring hospital cemeteries were re-interred in the City Point National Cemetery. The tall Army of the James Monument memorial made of white marble, is a prominent feature of the cemetery.
The cemetery site of Poplar Grove National Cemetery is a distinguished cemetery that lies in close proximity to the Petersburg city in the U.S. State of Virginia. Many of the soldiers who lost their lives in the Civil War are buried here. It is a tragic symbol of the gruesome Civil War and the unfortunate loss of lives.
Journey back into the 19th Century at Pamplin Historical Park and The National Museum of the Civil War Soldier. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and a Virginia Historic Landmark, Pamplin Historical Park is recognized as one of America's premier historical attractions and as the most innovative Civil War history park in the country.
Henricus Historical Park is the former site of a town also known as Henrico Town or Henricopolis which was one of the early settlements of the area. Located in Chester, it overlooks the James River. It was founded in 1611 by Sir Thomas Dale and is now a living museum depicting the culture of that time. There are several structures and exhibits that are recreated and volunteers give an hands-on demonstration of the life of the people of that era. Various events are also organized on the site. To know more, check their website.
Merchant's Hope church was owned by a English trader, who named it after a plantation and a British ship. This church that was established in 1657, was incorporated in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1969.