727 Bay St.
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 6Y3
Phone: (705) 253-7533
Fax: (705) 253-7667
Once a primary and the only mode of transport for various communities through the Turkey Trail, the Canadial freighter and passenger ferry Norgoma in now docked at the waterfront of the Sault Ste. Marie coast. The ship had been converted into a museum and is operated by St. Mary’s River Marine Heritage Centre. A tour to the museum would take you through the machinery, cabins, and passenger rooms of the ship and various photographs and artifacts collected over the time of its travel on the trail. Call for more information.
Located in downtown Sault Ste. Marie, the Roberta Bondar Park was dedicated to a Canadian astronaut for the achievement of being the nation's first woman astronaut to go to space. The park overlooks the panoramic ocean and the pavilion serves as a venue for concerts, festivals and cultural events such as the Winter Carnival, Bon Soo and the like. Call for details and more information.
The Walk of Fame is to honor prominent personalities who have made an immense difference to local region or the entire globe. In the past, the recipients were Walter Newman, John Barker, Phil Esposito and so forth. For a comprehensive list, please refer the website.
The eminent John Johnston House is a private home, located at 415 Park Place in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Constructed in 1822, it occupies an area of 0.1 acres (0.040 hectares). Built with cedar logs, it is a two-and-a-half-storied house which is rectangular in shape. The first story comprises of a central hall and five rooms, and the gabled rood adds to its aesthetic beauty. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 8, 1970.
The Elmwood, well known as the Schoolcraft House, is a two story Federal style structure. This 100-foot (30-meter) long building consists of 15 rooms and a full-length veranda. It is beautiful in its appearance with a simple design and was also used as an office. It features on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1968 near the site where Father Marquette, an early pioneer to the area, constructed his first mission, this tower serves as an unusual tribute to the Upper Peninsula's first inhabitants. The tower climbs 210 feet into the Michigan sky, affording views of Lake Superior, Canada, and the Soo Locks, which ranks as the busiest shipping channel in the world. A roomy elevator whisks visitors to the top. So fear not, climbing is not necessary. The base of the tower houses exhibits detailing the Native Americans who once called the Upper Peninsula home. Admission: USD4 adults; USD2 kids (6-16). The place opens from Mid-May, please call ahead.
The Chippewa County Courthouse, a renowned government building, is one of the oldest courthouses still in use. This three-story stone structure is T-shaped, and is replete with unique and beautiful interiors, long corridors, a clock tower on the top, and a mansard roof. This landmark courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The First United Presbyterian Church has been serving the town of Sault Ste. Marie since its inception in 1903 and continues to do so to this day. It has various church education related activities for children and youth, as well as for adults. The original Romanesque revival structure was built in 1903 and featured an auditorium as well as an ornate organ. However, the building was destroyed when the church was gutted by a fire in 2000. It was then rebuilt by 2003 as the current structure.
A part of the navigation route from the Atlantic Ocean to Lake Superior, Sault Ste. Marie Canal is the last lock in the system, stretching from St. Lawrence River and ending at Lake Superior. Constructed in 1895, this canal was considered to be the longest in the world at the time of its establishment. It was also the first in Canada to function on electricity and also had an emergency swing dam. It was designated a historic site in 1998, and was opened to the public for recreational use.
A part of the St. Mary's River, the Whitefish Island is a beautiful fishing station that was used by Anishenabek tribes. In 1981, this historical island was awarded the status of a National Historic Site of Canada.
Yet another facet of the massive trade infrastructure dotting the Great Lakes region, St. Mary's Falls Canal occupies an interesting place within the area's history of commerce. Consisting of two parallel locks, the Soo Locks, the canal allows boat traffic to pass into and out of the lakes through raising and lowering the water levels.
Located in along Queen Street East, the Bellevue Park is one of the main parks in the city. Covering a large area, this park has a large variety of flora and fauna. It is situated close to a river and gives great water views from almost all locations in the park. There is a greenhouse near the park entrance which grows a wide variety of beautiful flowers and exotic plants. A host of birds gather around the park, making it a haven for bird watchers. A great place for some rest and relaxation!