Sleep Inn & Suites
270 North Equity Drive
Smithfield, NC 27577
Phone: (919) 209-2360
Fax: (919) 209-2372
Clemmons Educational State Forest managed by the North Carolina Forest Service aims to provide ecological education through exhibits, self-guided trails and classes conducted by Rangers.
Visitors are allowed to walk on the fields where 80,000 Union and Confederate soldiers fought one of the last major battles of the Civil War at this historic site that also contains the Harper House, an improvised hospital where both sides were treated. A visitor center is also on site that contains exhibits and artifacts from the battlefields.
The Walnut Hill Historic District is a 157 acre (64 hectares) historic area comprising of 40 residential structures. The district shows a mix of Victorian and Gothic Revival styles of architecture. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000 because of its historical importance.
The Walnut Hill Cotton Gin is a historic structure built around 1848. Previously home to a cotton gin machine, it is today used as a residence by architect Jim Smith, who is also responsible for restoring the building. It is well known for being one of the few remaining cotton gin houses in North Carolina. It became a part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Established in 1880 by the state for black citizens with mental illnesses, this hospital was renamed in 1959 after Governor R. Gregg Cherry and was open to all races beginning in 1965. The on-site museum contains over a century of photographs, log books, and medical and farming equipment once used at the hospital.
Located on the site of an earlier courthouse that was built in 1850, this beautiful courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and features a memorial to World War I soldiers on its grounds, as well as a marker denoting the execution of John Lawson by Indians in 1710.
A historically significant cemetery, this cemetery features a Confederate monument that was erected in 1883 and contains the mass grave of 800 Civil War soldiers beneath it. The Jewish portion of the cemetery contains the graves of some of Goldsboro's most prominent citizens.
Lake Benson Park is a popular park in town. It is also home to the Lake Benson Boat House which is open for seasonal fishing and boating. Though the parkland features a lake, you cannot swim in it. This parkland consists of playgrounds, trails, picnic spots and open spaces for football games and kite flying. It also hosts town events like family movies and camping.
The mid-19th century boyhood farmstead home of North Carolina's "Educational Governor" Charles B. Aycock is located at this historic site that also includes an 1883 one room school house and a visitor center. Guided tours are available with advance registration.
The noted First Presbyterian Church in Goldsboro, North Carolina is precisely situated at 111 W. Ash Street. It occupies immense monumental value and is featured on the National Register of Historic Places. The church site was constructed in 1856. The ancient church is a massive representation of the Greek Revival style of architecture. The church invites all individuals wholeheartedly to worship the Lord. Apart from worship, the traditional service, Bible study, Communion and much more programs are actively organized. The Church tries to attain varied objectives through its numerous ministries. More insights can be sought after through their official website.
Dedicated to interpreting agricultural and rural heritage, this Antebellum farmstead features an 1855 Greek Revival house, a detached plank kitchen, a cotton gin museum, an herb garden, picnic facilities, a barn, and a 3,000 square foot museum known as the Farm History Center.
Fun for the whole family is available at this amusement center that includes a scenic 36 hole miniature golf course, batting cages, and concession stands.