501 South Blackstock Road
Spartanburg, SC 29301
Phone: (864) 595-4040
Fax: (864) 595-4050
A haven for birds and wildlife, this ten acre garden and preserve contains over 10,000 native plants, flowers, shrubs, perennial and annual flower displays, and trees, as well as dams, ponds, and trails. Picnic areas are also on site.
This historic home is believed to be the oldest house in Spartanburg's city limits. The Seay House is open to the public on the third Saturday of each month from May through October and by appointment year-round.
The Northwest Recreation Center is run by the city of Spartanburg's Parks and Recreation department. Whether these events and year-round programs are indoors, outdoors, something educational, recreational or otherwise, the center is an asset to everyone, young and old, for the betterment of their community. The recreation center itself features a basketball-court gym, two multi-purpose rooms, assembly and meeting area, computer lab, and weight room. Some of the programs include a summer day camp, dog obedience, computer classes, and reading programs.
Spartanburg is a growing city located on the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. This city is home to a diverse group of people and culture that has added much to the art scene and festivities in the city.
There are 22 parks located throughout Spartanburg. The main one is Barnet Park, which sits on seven acres (three hectares) of green land and has a lovely walking path that extends for a full two miles (three kilometers). In the park is the Zimmerli Amphitheatre, which plays hosts to various concerts and shows throughout the year. The park is also dressed with an interactive water fountain, pavilion and art sculptures.
The Spartanburg County Public Library contains a huge selection of books and reference materials as well as programming activities that include storytimes for children.
With over a century behind them, Wofford College has distinguished itself as a top Southern University attracting both local and international students. The liberal arts college campus rests on 170 acres (69 hectares) of land in Spartanburg and offers 26 major fields of study ranging from a number of diverse subjects. Wofford is a small institution that enrolls about 1500 students every academic year and offers a small but bustling college-town community with many activities, extra-curriculars, sports and arts programs to its students. Greek life is a big part of the Wofford College life with almost half of all the students participating in fraternities or sororities every year.
Built in 1851 with Gothic Revival style of architecture, the Episcopal Church of the Advent is one of the historic churches that continue to function till date. With a lot of struggle, it has strived to exist even today. The splendid exteriors and the soothing interiors of the building make it a beautiful place of worship. Regular services, including religious ceremonies are held at the church.
Hot Spot Skate Park is first concrete park in the state of South Carolina. Opened on June 3, 2009, this skate park spans a total of 21,000 square feet (1950.963 square meters) of concrete featuring street skate structures as well as traditional style boarding ramps. These and other structures throughout make for some creative skate tricks. The facility is operated by Spartanburg's Park and Recreation department. Skate lessons are offered every Wednesday, and skaters must sign a liability waiver.
The history of Converse College began over 100 years ago when new settlers from the North had a dream of providing their daughters with every educational opportunity regardless of their gender. Now this women's college ranks among the top small-size liberal arts colleges in the country due to its dedication to academic and personal growth. The school's commitment to the students shows in the incredible student to teacher ratio of 10:1. The campus is rural but alive with students participating in a number of programs and activities provided on campus from the arts to athletics.
The Walnut Grove Plantation began operations as a plantation when Charles and Mary Moore got a grant from King George II. The plantation is still operational and has a mansion, Rocky Spring Academy, a cellar and many other institutions within it. Several guided tours are available through the plantation, which include a walk through the greens and the mansion, a part of which is now a museum. The plantation and facility sits on over 60 acres (24 hectares) of land. To know more, check the website.
This very large 7,054 acre State Park features two lakes and offers a variety of recreational amenities and activities such as equestrian and hiking trails, stables and a horse show ring, camping facilities, fishing, a boat launch, a store, swimming pool, tennis courts, and picnic areas. Cultural aspects of the park include the remnants of a Native American soap store quarry that was used for bowl making and is registered as a Heritage Trust Site.