Sleep Inn & Suites
1633 N. 12th Court
Van Buren, AR 72956
Phone: (479) 262-6776
Fax: (479) 262-6944
Restored depot now serves as the city's chamber of commerce.
This house is listed on the National register of Historic Places. The home, overlooking the Arkansas River, was the house of the Revolutionary War descendant, John Drennen and his family. The home is linked to The Trail of Tears, the Underground railroad and the Civil War.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this eight-room wood frame antebellum house served for years as the family home of William Henry Harrison Clayton, following his appointment as U. S. District Attorney of the Western District of Arkansas in the famous court of Judge Isaac C. Parker by President Ulysses Grant.
One of the few remaining examples of Victorian Second Empire architecture in Fort Smith, this restored home listed on the National Register of Historic Places contains the Fort Smith Art Center.
One of the oldest homes still standing in Fort Smith, the fully-restored Casper Reutzel Haus was owned by Casper Reutzel, a native of Dormstadt, Germany who owned the largest cotton shipping firm on the Arkansas River. Casper Reutzel Haus is not open to the public.
This was the boyhood home of General William O. Darby, leader of Darby's Rangers in World War II. Some of his personal items are on display.
Harry E. Kelley Park is underneath the Arkansas River Bridge in Fort Smith, AK. The park includes a performance area, picnic tables and a hiking trail. Check the website for reservation policies.
Now home to Taliano's Italian Restaurant, this restored Renaissance Revival-style mansion is listed on the National Registry of Historical Places. All woodwork, fireplaces and stained art glass windows are original.
Located in historic downtown Fort Smith, Fort Smith's Visitor Center is housed in a restored former bordello that is listed on The National Register of Historic Places. The only survivor of the seven houses on
The Fort Smith Public Library's main branch is normally open Monday through Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Fridays until 6:00 p.m., 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Other local library branches can be found at 8100 Dallas Street, 8701 South 28th Street, and 4701 Windsor Drive.
Alternatively known as the Fort Smith U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, the Judge Isaac C. Parker Federal Building was constructed in 1937 and was named after the dynamic judge, Isaac C. Parker. The structure is a fine example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. Included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, the building is still functional and houses court offices.
Granted national status in 1867, this 22.3-acre U.S. National Cemetery contains approximately 13,000 graves. One of two national cemeteries in the United States that have both Union and Confederate solders buried, Fort Smith National Cemetery is the final resting place of Generals James B. McIntosh and Alexander E. Steen, Judge Isaac C. Parker and Brigadier General William O. Darby. Fort Smith National Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.