Sleep Inn & Suites
1633 N. 12th Court
Van Buren, AR 72956
Phone: (479) 262-6776
Fax: (479) 262-6944
Alternatively known as the Fort Smith U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, the Judge Isaac C. Parker Federal Building was constructed in 1937 and was named after the dynamic judge, Isaac C. Parker. The structure is a fine example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. Included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, the building is still functional and houses court offices.
The South Side Baptist Church that is situated across the Dodson Avenue, is certainly a historical landmark. Included in U.S. National Register of Historic Places, it was erected way back in 1948.
Originally named the Dodson Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, the Goddard United Methodist Church was established in 1930. It was renamed after Dr. OE Goddard who aided its comeback after the The Great Depression of the 1930s. Today, it is an impressive structure overlooking the Dodson Avenue.
Established in 1928, Christ the King Church is one of the oldest places of worship serving the community of Fort Smith. The modest church building was designed in the Spanish Revival style of architecture, and features a belfry at the entrance. The building underwent a significant renovation in 1948, when a fire caused considerable damage. The congregation today, meets at the new church building, constructed to accommodate the growing congregation.